If you find it hard to wrap your head around the idea of a cold soup, think of this more as a refreshing drink. The convincing factor for me (aside from its deliciousness), is that it can be prepared so quickly and then refrigerated overnight before serving. This makes it a great option for entertaining or when there’s a heatwave on the way and you need to stay out of a hot kitchen! Since the tomatoes are the star ingredient, try to buy the best quality you can find.
- 100g - bread, crusts removed
- 1/4cup - red wine vinegar
- 1kg - ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 - red pepper, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 1 - green pepper, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 1 - cucumber, roughly chopped
- 1/2 - red onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/2cup - extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish (optional)
1. Tear the bread up roughly in a bowl, and pour over the red wine vinegar. Let it soak for 10 minutes.
2. Put the bread and chopped vegetables in a blender and process until smooth.
3. With the motor still running, pour in the olive oil in a steady stream until well combined.
4. Using the back of a spoon, press the soup through a sieve into a jug.
5. Refrigerate overnight or at least until very cold!
6. Serve in bowls or glasses topped with a basil leaf.