This is a great salad to have up your sleeve for weekday lunches. Make a big batch at the beginning of the week and then pimp it up with options like sustainable tinned tuna, goat’s feta, cashew cheese, or cannellini beans. Feel free to change the proportion of ingredients – they are listed here as a guide, but adjust to your taste!
- 1cup - cracked freekeh
- 1 1/2cup - water
- 2 - carrots, julienned
- 1/2 - red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 - yellow capsicum, thinly sliced
- 1/2cup - sunflower seeds
- 2tbsp - extra virgin olive oil
- 1tbsp - apple cider vinegar
- 1tsp - dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Add freekeh to a saucepan, cover with the water and bring to the boil.
2. Simmer for 15-20 minutes with a lid on until the water has evaporated.
3. Transfer the cooked freekeh into a bowl and add the vegetables and seeds.
4. Whisk together the oil, vinegar, mustard, and salt & pepper.
5. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
6. Set aside until ready to serve.