In the chase for Instagrammable food sometimes the simplest dishes get overlooked. You don’t need a long list of fancy ingredients for a perfect green salad. Just some decent quality leaves and a little care when preparing the dish. This is a tried and try recipe from one of our Mums, and she swore by tearing the leaves into smaller bite size pieces as well as adding fresh mint leaves. One other tip – it pays to dry the leaves in a salad spinner, but wrapping them up in a tea towel and slinging it around outside works just as well!
Serves four as a side
- 1 - cos lettuce, washed and torn into small pieces
- 1 - butter lettuce, washed and torn into small pieces
- 1 - handful mint, roughly chopped
- 0.5 - red onion, finely sliced
- 1 - avocado, skinned and roughly diced
- 2tbsp - extra virgin olive oil
- 1tbsp - apple cider vinegar
- 1tsp - dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional - slices of orange to garnish (we’ve used blood orange)
- Put the lettuce, mint, onion, and avocado in a salad bowl.
- For the dressing, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar and mustard and season with salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, add the dressing to the salad and toss well to combine.
- Present the salad on a platter surrounded by slices of orange.