The important thing about this salad is how you prepare the zucchini – so take note!
Rather than cook it so the flesh is completely soft, we’ve cut larger chunks and roasted for a short time so that the zucchini still has some crunch. It feels a bit fresher this way, and tossed with the spinach and lemon is a great salad to serve on its own or alongside some meat or fish.
Sumac can be sourced from specialist grocery stores, but if you can’t find any, a touch of ground paprika, caraway seeds, or cumin could be equally tasty alternatives.
Serves 2 as a side
- 3 - medium zucchini, cut into large chunks
- 100g - spinach leaves
- 1tbsp - sumac, whole or ground
- 1 - wedge preserved lemon, finely chopped
- A good glug of extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Toss the zucchini in a little olive oil and spread on a baking tray.
- Roast in the oven for 20 minutes. When it’s ready, the zucchini skin should be easy to pierce with a knife, but not be so cooked that the flesh is completely soft and mushy.
- While the zucchini cools, put the remaining ingredients in a bowl.
- Add the zucchini and toss well before serving.