Toasting the flakes before blending gives it a different flavour but by all means skip this step if you wish. This ratio of coconut to water gives a thinner milk, suitable for smoothies, but you can play around with adding more coconut or less water to give an even creamier finish.
Makes 2 cups
- 1.5cup - unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2cup - filtered water (add more if needed)
- Spread the coconut flakes on a baking tray and under a grill or in a moderate oven, toast the flakes until golden brown.
- Put the coconut flakes and water into a blender, and blend for a couple of minutes.
- Put the muslin cloth over a mixing bowl and strain the coconut milk, gathering up the coconut meal. (you can reserve this for baking).
- Use within 3-5 days