If your perception of tofu is that it’s a little bland, then this should help – barbecue it. Here we’ve taken firm tofu and zucchini, marinated it in a heady mix of garlic and spices and put it on a barbecue until smoky and crusty then dusted with zaatar. You could stack the kebabs with other vegetables if you like – eggplant or capsicum would also work well.
Makes 6 kebabs
- 250g - firm organic tofu, in large dice
- 2 - medium sized zucchini, in large dice
- 1tsp - cumin seeds
- 1tsp - ground cinnamon
- 1tbsp - olive oil
- 0.5 - lemon, juiced
- 1tbsp - zaatar (middle eastern spice mix)
- Put all the ingredients, except for the zaatar, in a large mixing bowl and toss to coat the tofu & zucchini well (it’s easiest just to use your hands for this).
- Thread the tofu and zucchini on to skewers then set aside.
- Heat your barbecue, griddle pan, or non-stick frying pan to a high heat.
- Fry the skewers for 5-8 minutes, turning every couple of minutes to make sure they’re evenly cooked.
- Take them off the heat, sprinkle with the zaatar, then serve while hot.