No-one would ever claim that shortbread is a super food – however, there are ways to make this treat a little more on the healthy side. Our shortbread is gluten-free and sweetened only with dates. Use a good-quality cultured butter and you have a delicious treat!
Makes about 16 pieces.
- 125g - unsalted butter
- 5 - pitted dates
- 1.75cup - buckwheat flour
- 0.25cup - brown rice flour
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Soak dates in some boiling water for five minutes then drain.
- In a food processor, blitz the dates and the butter together (you can also mash them in by hand to butter that’s been left out at room temperature).
- Add the flours and salt and process until it comes together in a soft dough.
- Line a tray with baking paper and press the dough out with your fingers into a round that’s about half a centimetre thick. You can choose whatever thickness you like, we prefer a slightly thinner shortbread.
- Prick the shortbread all over with a fork, then bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Slice with a knife into pieces while still warm.