Ever thought of making your own mustard? It’s a cinch. It takes 5 minutes to put together and then you need some patience to let the flavours meld together over a day or two. If you don’t have a spice grinder, you can soak the mustard seeds in the liquid for 24 hours then try blitzing in a food processor or blender.
Makes approximately one cup.
- 3 tbsp - yellow mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp - brown mustard seeds
- 0.25 tsp - salt
- 0.25 tsp - cayenne pepper
- 0.5 tsp - tumeric
- 0.5 cup - water
- 0.25 cup - apple cider vinegar
- Put the mustard seeds in a spice grinder and process until almost ground. It’s up to you how you’d prefer the texture, but we liked it with some of the seeds still intact.
- Put the seeds and the rest of the ingredients in a jar, give it a good stir and put in the fridge for 24 hours. Don’t worry if it looks very thin, as the seeds expand it will become thicker overnight.
- And that’s it! Give it a good stir before each use and you’ll find that the flavours soften and change over the course of a couple of days.