Kedgeree is traditionally made with rice, smoked fish, and boiled eggs. So we’ve decided to take it a little left of centre, making a vegetarian version with cauliflower as the star.
The poached egg packs it with some extra flavour and we’ve added some lovely crunch on the top for texture. You can add other vegetables to this if you like – be creative. And don’t be put off by the list of ingredients. This can be easily put together in half and hour!
- 1 - medium size head cauliflower, processed until finely chopped
- 1 - brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 - clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 - stick of celery, finely sliced
- 1tsp - mustard seeds
- 1tsp - tumeric
- 0.5tsp - ground cardamom
- 0.5tsp - ground cumin
- 1cup - vegetable or chicken stock
- salt & pepper to taste
- 4 - eggs
- FOR THE TOPPING
- 1 - handful of green beans, sliced into 2cm pieces
- 40g - pistachios, roughly chopped
- 1 - handful of watercress leaves
- 1tbsp - apple cider vinegar
- olive oil for drizzling
1. Heat a little olive in a pan over medium heat and when hot add the onion, garlic, and celery.
2.Cook for ten minutes until the vegetables have softened.
3. Add the spices and cook for a few minutes before adding the cauliflower and stock.
4. Cook for five minutes until the liquid has absorbed. Set aside and keep warm.
5. Bring a pot of water to a gentle simmer, then gently crack in the eggs. Cook for 3-4 minutes for a medium poached egg.
6. Lift out and drain on paper towel.
7. For the topping, toss all the ingredients together in a small bowl.
8. To the put the meal together, spoon some kedgeree on a plate, place a poached egg in the centre and top with the green beans. Finish it all off with a drizzle of olive oil and some salt and pepper.