Having a few condiments up your sleeves can be almost life-changing. They can assist you in making something out of nothing. Here are a couple of our favourites.
Perfect for the left over bunches of herbs in the fridge.
Originating from Egypt, serve as a dip with bread or spice up your eggs in the morning.
- - *DUKKAH*
- 1.2 cup - hazelnuts
- 0.25 cup - sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp - coriander seeds
- 2 tbsp - cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp - ground black pepper
- 1 tsp - salt flakes
- - *SALSA VERDE*
- - handful of parsley
- - handful of basil
- 1.5 - cloves of garlic
- - juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp - capers
- 0.5 cup - olive oil
- - salt & pepper for seasoning
- Pop all ingredients into a food processor and blitz up into a chunky paste.
- Adjust seasoning of salt and peeper to taste.
- Store in an air tight container in the fridge to keep fresh for at least a week.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees/gas mark 5/ 350F.
- Place hazelnuts on a baking tray and roast for 4-5 minutes until toasted.
- Leave nuts to cool then rubs the nuts in your hands to remove the skin.
- Place sesame seeds in a dry frying pan and cook for 2-3 minutes then remove.
- Place the coriander and cumin seeds in the frying pan and cook for 2-3 minutes until you here them pop and release an aromatic smell. Transfer to a mortar and pestle and pound together until finely crushed.
- Now mix all the ingredients together and add the salt and pepper.