Cooking meat in milk is a technique used to help tenderise the meat – the lactic acid in the milk helps break down the meat, whilst adding lemon zest helps curdle the milk and turn it into delicious golden nuggets of sauce.
It’s seriously delicious and an easy one-pot recipe that can be served with just a simple green salad to soak up the juices.
- a little olive oil
- 500g - free-range pork fillet in one piece
- 5 - whole cloves of garlic, skin on
- a handful of fresh sage leaves
- the zest from 1 lemon
- 500mL - full cream milk
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Put a heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat on the stovetop and put in a little olive oil.
- When hot, put in the pork fillet and fry on each side for a few mins until it starts to brown.
- Add the garlic, sage, and lemon zest and cook for a minute before pouring in the milk.
- Transfer to the oven and cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, take out the pork fillet and slice into pieces about 1cm thick.
- Return to the pan and serve family-style in the middle of the table, giving each person a helping of sauce along with the pork.