Best on the day they are made we tend to make a small batch like the recipe below which speeds up the process and makes sure you’re eating them fresh. They also keep well in the freezer for a crunchy cold treat.
- 2 - egg whites
- 2cup - unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 2 - dates (finely chopped)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a non-stick saucepan over medium heat, toast the coconut until golden, moving around in the pan to prevent it from burning.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Transfer the coconut to a bowl, and stir in the egg whites, followed by the dates.
- Press into small balls (using approximately 1-2 tablespoons mixture) and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Cook in the oven for 15 minutes until golden.
- Best served the day they are made, but will keep well in an airtight container or the fridge/freezer.