Larb is a minced meat salad traditionally originating from Laos. Eat this delicious concoction in a crisp ice-burg lettuce leaf, a great alternative to a sandwich! This punchy little dish contains all the components of a nutritious and balanced meal.
- 1 - large chicken breast
- 0.5 cup - quinoa
- 0.25 cup - raw cashews
- 2 tbsp - peanut oil
- 1 - knob of ginger, finely diced
- 2 - long red chillies, finely chopped
- 1 - stalk of lemongrass (just the white fleshy part) finely sliced
- 0.5 - red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp - fish sauce
- 2 - limes, juiced
- 1 - small bunch of coriander
- 1 - small bunch of mint
- 1 tbsp - rice vinegar
- - ice-berg lettuce cups
- Mince/finely chop the chicken breast. You can either do this in a food processor or simply dice by hand.
- Place quinoa in a saucepan of boiling water and cook for eight minutes, quinoa should still have a bite to it. Set aside and leave to drain in the sieve to remove as much moisture as possible.
- Cook the chicken in a frying pan with one tablespoon of the oil. Add the fish sauce, juice of one of the limes, one of the chopped chillies, the diced ginger and lemongrass. The chicken will cook quickly, approximately 5 minutes. Once cooked remove the mixed ingredients from the heat and allow to cool.
- In the same pan (no need to wash) place the dried quinoa, spread out evenly in the pan and cook over a medium heat, for five minutes until crispy. Combine the quinoa with the chicken mixture and add the chopped herbs and sliced onion.
- In a small bowl combine the tablespoon of rice vinegar, peanut oil, juice of the other lime and finely chopped chilli to create a dressing.
- Spoon the mixture into the lettuce cups, drizzle over a little dressing on each, roll them up and eat!