Warm you heart and soul with our delicious vego pho. A simple take on a Vietnamese classic. It seriously is clean living in a bowl! A lightly spiced and aromatic broth with earthy shiitake mushrooms and tender asian greens.
- 6 cup - water
- 1 - star anise
- 10 - cloves
- 1 tbsp - black peppercorns
- 1 - thumb sized knob of ginger
- 1 - onion, roughly chopped
- 3 - cloves of garlic
- 1 - cinnamon stick
- 1 - small bunch of coriander, including stalk and root
- 10 - shiitake mushrooms (approx)
- 1 tbsp - rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp - tamari/ gluten free soy
- 1 - pack of rice noodles
- 1 - lime
- 1 - handful of bean shoots
- 1 - handful of thai basil
- 1 - red chilli
1. Place the cloves, cinnamon, onion, peppercorns, star anise, ginger, garlic and coriander root into a saucepan with the water and gently bring to the boil. Once boiling reduce to a simmer and leave for 30 minutes.
2. Remove the stalks from the mushrooms and roughly chop, add to the aromatic liquid for a further 15 minutes.
3. Strain the liquid and return the broth to the pan.
4. Add the wet ingredients of rice wine vinegar and gluten free soy along with the sliced shiitake mushrooms.
5. In a separate pan cook the rice noodles according to the packet instructions. Strain and rinse under cool water.
6. The last thing to add is the asian greens, we find bok choy to be readily available in most supermarkets. Remove the bottom of the stem and then slice in half long ways. Add to the broth and let simmer til tender for approximately 4 minutes.
7. Place the noodles into bowls and pour over the broth.
8. Now to make it pretty! Top each bowl with a small handful of bean shoots, fresh sliced chilli, thai basil, coriander and a lime wedge.